Let me just put it out there, I have a distaste for most bottled sauces and dressings. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the preservatives, maybe it's the Xanthan Gum. I just don't know.
However, there are some bottled sauces and dressings that I enjoy, but those are far and in between. Most of the time I just make my own. I can whip up a sauce or dressing faster than it takes someone to find a bottle in their pantry or refrigerator. hehe.
Such is the case with the Sauce Du Jour: Tartar Sauce.
For my Tartar Sauce I use:
- Best Foods or Trader Joe's Mayonnaise
- Dill Pickles (Not Dill Relish-it makes the Tartar Sauce too watery)
- Sweet Onion (Vidalia, Oso, or Maui)
- Fresh Dill
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper to Taste if needed
This is one of those recipes that I have no measurements for, but if you really need amounts just email me and I'll see what I can do.
- Finely Chop Pickles and Onions
- Next finely chop the capers and clove of garlic
- VERY IMPORTANT: Next put all of the chopped ingredients into a sieve and press every bit of liquid out (don't worry the flavor will not be lost). Use paper towels to soak liquid from the top.
- Put the pickle mixture into a mixing bowl and add lemon juice (for 3 pickles used 1/2 a lemon)
- Finely chop the fresh dill and add to bowl.
- Next, add the Mayonnaise a few Tablespoons at a time until you get the right consistency. (You can always add more but it is very hard to subtract :-) ) Be aware that it will be a little "loose" until it has been refrigerated.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (2-3 hours is best) Then taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
TADA! Here is the finished product: